Example template customization
Now that you've learned how to customize the templates and where to find them, let's make a small test modification. In this example we will add some custom text above the registration form.
Remember this is just a very simple example, custom text can obviously be added through the WordPress page editor.
- Navigate to the wp-content/plugins/wp-user-manager/templates/ folder on your server. ( You should connect via FTP or any other way you use to access your files )
- You will notice files and sub folders. The registration form template file can be found into the subfolder "forms".
- Open the subfolder "forms" and copy the file registration-form.php
- Now navigate to your theme's folder - for example wp-content/themes/twentyfifteen
- Create a new folder called "wpum" if it does not exist.
- Because the registration-form.php file was into a subfolder called "forms" - you must create a new folder called "forms" into your "wpum" folder.
- Now paste the registration-form.php file that you have previously copied. Your structure should now look like this
- Open up the file with your favorite code editor and add or modify the content of the file. In this example i've simply added a custom phrase at the top of the form:
Save the file and visit your registration page ( remember the registration form is visible only when NOT logged in ) and if you've done everything correctly, you will see your custom phrase on top of the form.